Tatting is a technique used to create a type of lace. With a long tatting needle or a shuttle you can create rings and trains using loops and knots. Crochet yarn and AISA brand which has a silky smooth texture can be used for tatting. The higher the thread number, the finer the thread. The thread size also changes the size of the design. When you select a thread you need to consider the project you are undertaking. The amount of use an item gets should be considered, for example, Easter themed decorative trims will only be used once a year compared to collars or hanky’s which will be used and washed regularly. Tatting can be used to create many different items such as doilies, earrings, necklaces, home decor, collars e.t.c
First steps you need to master
• Learn to do a double Stitch
• Create a Double Stitch Chain
• Learn to make rings
• Learn to make picots
Types of Tatting:
• Needle Tatting – Needle tatting is similar to knitting. The size of the needle determines the size of the project. The smaller the needle, the finer the thread needed.Shuttle tatting is more stable than needle tatting because needle tatting uses mock rings to establish its design.
• Shuttle Tatting – This was the first method of tatting lace. The shuttle holds the wound thread and guides it through a loop to make knots.
• Cro-tatting – This is a combination of needle tatting and crochet. The tool used id a tatting needle with a crochet hook.
If you need tatting inspiration there are tatting books and tutorials you can find online or in bookstores. To read tatting instructions, it is important to know the common abbreviations used, like beg for beginning chain and sm p for small picot. For a comprehensive list of tatting abbreviations check out Lovely Tatting.
Shuttle Tatting For Beginners
This is a great instructive video for beginner tatters. It carefully and concisely explains the basic steps you need to master when tatting. Viewers learn how to thread and wind a shuttle, create a double stitch, expand and close a ring. These are all techniques that need to be mastered before attempting a tatting project.
Needle Tatting for Beginners
If you’re a knitter, needle tatting will be right up your ally. This tutorial is a step by step guide on basic needle tatting techniques. The Thread Corner goes through explains each step thoroughly and efficiently, making it easy to understand and follow along. Be sure to check out her channel for other helpful tatting tips.
Once you’ve mastered the basic steps, it’s time to take on more advanced projects. If you want to get more creative, Frivole has as detailed tutorial on how to tatt a crystal star. There are so many creative and instructive tatting videos online, make sure to check them out. Remember the more you practice the faster and easier it gets.
Tatting has health benefits. The repetitive motion can act as a stress relief and helps to relieve anxiety, irritability and restlessness. Other crafts that provide similar benefits are knitting and crocheting.
• To untwist a thread, let the shuttle dangle and the thread will untwist itself
• Make sure to always wind the thread evenly. Do not let thread extend beyond edge of the shuttle
• For a clean look, fasten loose thread ends to the wrong side of project.
• Tatted Treasures has more useful tips that make tatting easier.